Visual C ++
For another way to run C++ code, in addition to the one described in last night's tip, try installing Visual C++ Build Tools which are available here, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235639.aspx at the link named Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools 2015. The instructions on this page will show you how to run C ++ code .cpp files in Windows command prompt. In this example we're going to run a C ++ code called sortstring.cpp which can be found in this online library. After the software is installed, you just need to follow these steps:
1. In the Programs menu go tothe Visual C++ Build Tools folder, the Windows Desktop Command Prompt Tools subfolder and select Visual C++ 2015 x86 Native Build Tools Command Prompt.
2. Go ahead and create a folder at the root of your C drive named 'hello' and save a .cpp file there.
3. Go back to the command prompt and type in
to change the directory to the folder containing your cpp file.
4. Now type in
cl /HEsc sortstring.cpp
5. This should generate an executable file in the source folder. Now at the command prompt type the name of the C++code file, without the extension, and press enter.
6. The program created by the code should run. In this example, the user is prompted to enter a total number of strings, followed by each string, and the code automatically sorts them in order.