Cloud based software, Software as a Service (SaaS) allows organizations to forego the cost of servers and support services. Some SaaS providers will not take responsibility for securing user data and guaranteeing access to it. Data breaches may be regarded as the customer’s fault. Take the following steps to ensure cloud data security.
1. Use Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASB) to audit the cloud services used on a network.
2 Use role based permissions. Identity and Access Management should be used to limit the files and software that particular users in an organization can use.
3. Ensure that both data at rest and in transit is encrypted.
4. Data Loss Prevention software should be used to block malware from downloading data.
5. Monitor sharing of data through email and FTP sites.
6. Confirm that cloud service providers use MFA, and implement data segregation policies