The views expressed in this blog are those of the owner and do not reflect the views or opinions of the owner’s employer. All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. This policy is subject to change at any time. The owner is not an attorney, and nothing posted on this site should be construed as legal advice. Litigation Support Tip of the Night does not provide confirmation that any e-discovery technique or conduct is compliant with legal, regulatory, contractual or ethical requirements.
New tips for paralegals and litigation support profesionals are posted to this site each week. Click on the blog headings for better detail.
Avenir Light is a clean and stylish font favored by designers. It's easy on the eyes and a great go to font for titles, paragraphs & more.
Dec 21, 2020
Notes on Abbreviations
Just a few quick notes on abbreviations which are often used incorrectly.
- The abbreviation 'App.' may be used in a filing title for 'Appeal' or 'Appellate', but table BT1 of the Bluebook, which gives abbreviations for words used in the titles of court documents, specifies that 'App.' be used for 'Appendix' and 'Appeal' be spelled in full.
- However don't make the mistake of using the abbreviation 'Joint App.' for the 'Joint Appendix'. Table BT1 states that this should be abbreviated 'J.A.'.
- 'Aff.' is used for 'Affidavit', not 'Affirmation'.
- Table T6 of the Bluebook lists abbreviations to be used in case names. It specifies that 'Exp.' be used for 'Export[er, ation]', not 'Expense' or 'Express'.
- 'Assoc.' is used for 'Associate', not 'Association', which is 'Ass'n'.
- In table T6 'Tr.' is used for 'Trustee' not 'Transcript' as it is in table BT1.
- Table T6 uses 'Mar.' for 'Maritime', not 'Market', which should be abbreviated 'Mkt.'.